Bladder Home > Treatment Tips and Guidelines for Nitrofurantoin
Dose of Nitrofurantoin for MacrobidThe recommended Macrobid dosage for treating urinary tract infections in people 12 years and older is 100 mg twice daily for seven days. This medication is not approved for preventing UTIs or for children under 12 years of age.
General Dosing InformationSome considerations to keep in mind when taking nitrofurantoin include the following:
- The medication comes in liquid or capsule form.
- Furadantin liquid and Macrodantin capsules are usually taken four times daily, although they may be taken just once a day for long-term UTI prevention.
- Macrobid capsules are usually taken just twice daily.
- If you have generic nitrofurantoin capsules, it can be difficult (if not impossible) to tell from your prescription bottle whether you are taking generic Macrobid or generic Macrodantin, since the generic names are quite similar. If you are unsure, just ask your pharmacist.
- Nitrofurantoin should be taken with food, as food increases the absorption of this antibiotic.
- It does not matter what times of day you take this medication. However, try to space the doses out evenly per day as reasonably as possible.
- For nitrofurantoin to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or nitrofurantoin dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.