Bladder Home > Cipro XR Dosage
When treating an uncomplicated urinary tract infection with Cipro XR, dosing generally starts at 500 mg. People with kidney disease may need to take a smaller amount. It is important to follow your healthcare provider's dosing instructions carefully and finish the entire course of treatment, even if you start to feel better earlier than this.
An Introduction to Dosing With CiproThe dosage of Cipro® XR (ciprofloxacin extended release) your healthcare provider recommends will depend on a number of factors, including:
- The type and severity of the infection being treated
- How well your kidneys function.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Be sure to follow your healthcare provider's dosing instructions carefully and finish the entire course of Cipro XR, even if you start to feel better. Stopping this medication too soon could cause your infection to come back, or lead to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Cipro XR Dosage for Urinary Tract InfectionsThe usual dose of Cipro XR for an uncomplicated urinary tract infection (UTI) is 500 mg once a day for three days. The usual dosage for a complicated UTI is Cipro XR 1000 mg once daily for 7 to 14 days. However, people with kidney disease may be given Cipro XR 500 mg once daily, even for a complicated UTI.
Cipro XR Dosage for Kidney InfectionsThe recommended dose for a kidney infection (also called pyelonephritis) is 1000 mg once day for 7 to 14 days. However, people with kidney disease may be given 500 mg once daily.
General Information on Using Cipro XRSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Cipro XR include the following:
- Cipro XR comes in tablet form. It is usually taken once a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Try to take your dose of Cipro XR at about the same time each day to keep an even level in your bloodstream.
- Swallow the tablets whole -- do not crush, cut, or chew them. Tell your healthcare provider if you cannot swallow the tablets.
- Cipro XR should not be taken with dairy products alone (such as milk or yogurt) or calcium-fortified juices (such as orange juice). However, it is okay to take it with meals that contain these products.
- Make sure you drink plenty of fluids during treatment to stay well hydrated.
- Cipro XR is used to treat bacterial infections. It will not treat infections caused by viruses, such as the common cold or flu.
- You should start to feel better within a couple of days of treatment. However, this does not mean your infection is gone. Make sure you finish the entire course of this antibiotic. Stopping it too early may cause your symptoms to return, or lead to antibiotic resistance.
- For Cipro XR to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.